Roasted and mashed eggplant mixed with onions, tomatoes and spices makes the Indian dish Baingan ka Bhartha.
- 1 large ( 1 pound) aubergine
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1” ginger finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp Baingan Bharta Masala
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Roast a large aubergine on low fire on all sides till the skin turns black. Remove from fire and peel off the skin. Chop into large chunks.
- Heat 4 tbsp cooking oil in a wok or kadhai and fry chopped onion till it is golden brown. Add chopped ginger, chopped green chilies, chopped cilantro leaves and chopped tomatoes and fry till soft.
- Add aubergine pieces and peas. Sprinkle 2 tbsp Baingan Bhartaa Masala and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover and cook till it turns light brown.
- Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve with paratha.
Do You Know?
It is believed that Aubergine (Eggplant) contains properties that may help reduce cholesterol levels, decrease high blood pressure and protect the heart as well as containing anti-cancerous properties.Aubergines supply the heart protective nutrient, Vitamin E.
Aubergine is also a very useful source of potassium, which helps keep blood pressure at normal levels. Aubergine contains Vitamin K, which helps promote blood clotting and stops bleeding.
Eating Aubergine is reported to counteract detrimental blood effects from fatty foods.It features antibacterial properties, which may increase the amount of urine passed.