- 1 pound chicken boneless cut into small pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp chicken tikka masala
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves (Optional)
- Mix salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp chicken tikka masala and 2 tbsp oil in a bowl and rub the mixture on chicken pieces. Leave for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile heat remaining oil in a pressure cooker, fry onion till golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, stir and add yogurt. Mix well and pressure cook for two whistles or till chicken is tender.
- Open the cooker when it is cooled. Add remaining tikka masala and coriander powder. Adjust consistency of gravy by adding water according to your requirement.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
Tips for Marinating Chicken:
If marinating time is longer than one hour, place the marinating chicken in the refrigerator.
Reduce oil in the marinade for more flavor. The best marinade (unlike the best salad dressing) is about half oil and half acid.
Chicken shouldn't be marinated longer than called for in the recipe. The chicken can become mushy if marinated too long, as the acid breaks down the flesh.
Do You Know?
A good marinade will have a delicate balance of spices, acids, and oil.