This is very easy to make and tastes great too.
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee or cooking oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 3-4 green chilies finely chopped
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ mustard seeds
- chopped cilantro to garnish
- Drain the rice which were soaked for 15 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds. When spluttering stops add curry leaves and onion and fry till onion turn light brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste , stir fry for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and all the spices with salt. Stir fry for another 4-5 minutes till oil separates.
- Now add the rice and fry or another couple of minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water. Add the lime juice and more salt if needed.
- Cook on low heat till rice is ready.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Do You Know?
Canned tomatoes are available in several different forms. The traditional forms are whole peeled tomatoes (packed in juice or puree); ground (sometimes referred to as "kitchen-ready", and not to be confused with puree, which is similar but more cooked); crushed tomatoes, made by adding the ground tomatoes to a heavy medium made from tomato paste; diced tomatoes, which are chunkier. In recent years, the Petite Diced form have become the fastest growing segment of canned tomatoes.