Chopped seasoned spinach is folded in cooked Chana dal (split Bengal gram).
- 1 cup Chana dal, washed
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 3- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chat masala (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- Clean spinach, remove stems and chop it fine.
- Thoroughly wash the Chana dal and put into a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water to it. Add all ingredients (except spinach). Stir well.
- Cover the pressure cooker and set on the stove at a high flame. After the first pressure release, reduce the flame to simmer and cook for two more pressure release or cook it till the dal is soft. Turn off the fire and open the pressure cooker when it is cool.
- Stir it well; add some warm water if dal is too thick.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and mustard seeds and fry till spluttering stops. Quickly add chopped spinach and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add dal and fold the spinach in it gently. Cook until all the spinach is blended in with the dal.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, chat masala and chopped cilantro.
- Garnish with little ‘tadka’ (ghee with little red chili powder).
- Serve with Roti (Indian flat bread ) or rice.
Do You Know?
Bengal gram is also known as Black Chickpea, from which Chana dal and Besan (chickpea flour) are made.
Bengal gram is very rich in proteins and fiber. It has very low glycemic index which makes it suitable for people with blood sugar problems.