The phrase "cool as a cucumber" is not without merit. This vegetable's high water content gives it a very unique moist and cooling taste.
Just grate the cucumber and mix with yogurt.
- 2 cups grated cucumber
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp Raita masala or Dahi Vada Masala (available in Indian Grocery Stores)
- 2 cup yogurt beaten well.
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro to garnish
- Salt Mix to taste
- In a bowl mix yogurt, grated cucumber, chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped green chilies, grated ginger, Raita masala and Salt Mix.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve cold with Dal, Sabji and Roti.
Do You Know?
The silica in cucumber is an essential component of healthy connective tissue, which includes muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and bone.
Cucumber juice is often recommended as a source of silica to improve the complexion and health of the skin.
Cucumber's high water content makes it naturally hydrating substance, which is must for glowing skin.
Cucumbers are also used topically for various types of skin problems, including swelling under the eyes and sunburn.
Two compounds in cucumbers, ascorbic acid and caffeic acid, prevent water retention, which may explain why cucumbers applied topically are often helpful for swollen eyes, burns and dermatitis.
Caffeic acid has been shown to act as a carcinogenic inhibitor. It is also known as an antioxident.