This simple dish tastes great with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).
- 4 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder (lal mirch)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp cooking oil/ghee
- Heat oil in a pan and fry potatoes till light brown. Drain the potatoes, keep aside.
- In the same hot oil add the cumin seeds. When cumin seeds stop spluttering, add the onions and fry till light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and the tomato and further fry for two minutes.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt and fry till oil separates.
- Add spinach and fried potatoes. Cook on medium flame till potatoes are tender. Add lemon juice.
- Just before serving heat butter in a small saucepan and add the asafetida. Pour over the vegetable and mix gently.
- Serve hot as a side dish with Poori or Roti or Paratha.
Do You Know?
Spinach is low in calories, but high in oxalates. Therefore it shouldn't be eaten more than twice a week.