Dal shorba is a delicious and nutritious Red Lentil Soup. Adding fresh coriander leaves, lemon juice and asafetida seasoning in the end enhances the flavor of this mild legume.
- 1 cup Dhuli Masoor Dal (Red Lentil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 green chilies chopped
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- pinch of asafetida for seasoning
- 3 tbsp butter
- Fried onion and butter to garnish
- Heat one tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat and sauté garlic cloves, bay leaf, and chopped onions till turn pink. Add chopped tomato, chopped green chilies, salt and red chili powder and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and add washed Masoor Dal along with 4 cups of water. Pressure cook for 5-6 minutes.
- When cold, blend it in a blender and then pass through a sieve. Add more water according to the required consistency and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add black pepper powder and chopped coriander leaves. Adjust salt as per the taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a small pan, add cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add asafetida and pour the seasoning over the simmering soup.
- Drizzle lemon juice. Garnish with some more butter, fried onion and few cilantro leaves and serve hot.