It is a simple recipe in which biryani rice is cooked with meat and spices. Serve with Raita and Chutney as main course.
- 2 pound mutton (Goat/Lamb) cut in small pieces
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1” stick of Cinnamon
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 medium Onion finely sliced
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Mint Leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan; add Bay leaves, Cinnamon, Cardamoms, sliced onions and chopped green chilies; sauté well.
- Add mutton and cook on medium heat for a 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic paste, ginger paste, red chili powder and ½ cup yogurt and fry on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes or till meat is just done (you can pressure cook it also).
- Now add 3 ½ cups of hot water, chopped mint leaves, chopped cilantro leaves, salt, garam masala powder and soaked basmati rice. Mix lightly.
- Allow rice to cook over a high heat first. Cover the pan and cook further on low heat for 10-12 minutes or until rice is done.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with Onion Raita and Green Chutney.
Do You Know?
Pulao, a favorite-spiced rice dish in
The original dish dates back to the Mughal period, with a strong Persian influence since the Mughal emperors admired and emulated Persian culture.