It is a great evening snack item. Soaked Puffed rice or Murmure are seasoned with mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, roasted peanuts and lime juice.
- 2 cups Puffed Rice (Murmure)
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 2-3 green chilies chopped
- 3-4 curry leaves
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato chopped fine
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Wash the puffed rice in water and soak it for about 2-3 minutes. Squeeze out all the water from the Murmure after that.
- In the mean time heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard. After they splutter add peanuts, curry leaves, green chilies and chopped onion. Sauté a little; and then add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook till tomato is soft and mushy.
- Now add moist Murmure (puffed rice) and chopped coriander leaves; mix well. Add lemon juice if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve as snack.
Do You Know?
Puffed rice is made from white rice, meaning that it is not a whole grain and contains very little fiber. One cup of puffed rice cereal provides 56 calories and just .1 g of fat. The calories mostly come from the 13 g of carbohydrates. The cereal has only .9 g of protein, making it an insignificant source.